Documents for travellers and road taxes

The full content is available in German, French or Italian.

Travel documents

To enter Switzerland, you must be in possession of a valid travel document that is recognised by Switzerland (passport, identity card). Foreign citizens also need a visa in certain cases.

Road taxes

Road taxes are incurred when goods are transported in Switzerland:

  • The use of Swiss motorways with motor vehicles and trailers up to 3.5 tonnes is subject to payment of the motorway tax (vignette).
  • The mileage-related heavy vehicle charge HVF depends on the total weight, emissions level, and kilometres driven in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein.
    It applies to motor vehicles and their trailers that have a total permissible laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes and are used to transport goods.
  • The lump-sum heavy vehicle charge (PSVA) is levied on vehicles used for transporting passengers, motor carriages, tractors, motor vehicles for fun fairs and circuses, as well as motor vehicles for the carriage of goods with a maximum speed of 45 km/h.

CH" sticker, number plates and official signs

A "CH" sticker must be displayed on the rear of Swiss vehicles and trailers that you use when travelling abroad. Further information on this as well as on number plates and official signs can be found in Article 45 of Appendix 4 to the Ordinance on the Technical Requirements for Road Vehicles, SR 741 (in french).